The village of Čachtice is located near Nové Mesto nad Váhom and right below the Čachtice Castle built in the 13th century to serve as one of the guarding castles of the middle-Váh River region. It became infamous thanks to the “blood-thirsty” countess Elisabeth Bathory who lived in the late 16th and early 17th century. It is reported that the countess ordered to slay 600 young virgins and bathed in their blood to forever preserve her youth and beauty. The castle was conquered in 1708 and burnt down by the armies of Francis Rákoczi. Since then, the castle has gradually turned into ruins. After the renovation in 2012 – 2014, the castle is again open to the public.
The nearby Draškovič Mansion houses a museum that besides documenting the history also introduces the folk culture and traditions of Čachtice. Underneath the village of Čachtice is located mysterious underground space of Čachtice. Originally used for storing wine, the cellar was later rebuilt into hiding places for inhabitants to hide from the Turkish armies. Thanks to the system of ventilation and storage of food, it was possible to stay underground for an extended period of time. More information is on the website www.podzemie.net
DISTANCE FROM TRENČÍN: 35 km
ACCESS: By car from Trenčín, direction Nové Mesto nad Váhom. Enter village Čachtice and park at a designated parking below the castle. From there, walk for 15 minutes toward the castle. By bus or train to Nové Mesto nad Váhom, then by bus to Čachtice. From the bus stop walk for 45 minutes to the castle.
GPS: 48°43’26” N, 17°45’42” E
ENTRANCE FEE: see vwww.cachtice.sk/en/cachticky-hrad
Tel: 0903 715 406, 032 740 10 14