Trenčín Castle (Trenčiansky hrad)
Trenčín Castle – dominant feature of the city of Trenčín and the entire region of Považie. Together with Spiš Castle and Devín Castle, Trenčín Castle belongs to the most extensive castles in Europe. Since ancient times, the castle has guarded trade routes connecting the region of Northern Ugria and...
Roman inscription on the castle rock
City tower (Mestská veža)City tower offers beautiful view of Trenčín Castle, the parish church, as well as Mierové Square. Six floor Gothic tower was built around the begining of the 15th century on a square foundation. Originally, it was a two story structure, with its passage roofed by a pointed Gothic arch. During the first quarter of the 17th century, the gate was updated in the Renaissance style, a third floor was added in an octogan shape. Damaged during
Mierové Square (Mierové námestie)Old historical road that connected the Moravian gate through Považie with the Nitra river valley witnessed the footprint of the city. This road, located between the castle´s rock and river Váh, morphed before 1111 into a settlement that created an irregular elongated square. In the middle of the 15th century, two gates (upper and lower city gate) with city walls that connected to castle
Plague Pillar (Morový stĺp)
Piaristic Church of St. Francis Xaverský (Piaristický kostol)
Piaristic Church of st. Francis Xaverský (founded by the Jesuits, since 1776 piaristic) dominates the west end of Mierové Square and is rightfully considered one of the most beautiful sacral baroque monuments in Slovakia. Of interest is an illusive painting of the dome above the church facade - the dome is only an illusion and in fact does not exist. The cornerstone was laid by the Jesuits in 1653. The church itself was designed and constructed in...
Parish Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary (Farský kostol)
Close to the Trenčín Castle, there is situated Parish church of the Birth of Virgin Mary, which is one of the most valuable and the oldest sacred buildings in the town. Together with St. Michael's Carner, parish office and former armory, it was part of town fortification, which protected access road to the castle. These buildings formed a complex on Marienberg Hill, also known as Marienberg.
Parish stairway (Farské schody)
The renaissance parish stairway was built in 1568 as a defence passageway serving the members of the city art's guilds to defend city walls ranging from the St. Michael's Carner to Trenčín Castle. The stairway also served as an access road to the town armory, built in 1565 next to the carner. The stairway was damaged by fires in the years 1708, 1790 and 1886. After its restoration, the stairway was used as a public...
House of Town's headsman (Katov dom)
The house dates back to 1580 and can be seen in the oldest vista of Trenčín. In the 17th century, according to folk legend, it served as a town’s headsman’s home as well as a prison. More likely the house received its name during the 19th century, when the town´s headsman purportedly lived there. In 1412, king Sigmund of Luxemburg granted Trenčín the status of free royal town with the...