Except for Trenčín Castle, the carner it is the only substantially undamaged Gothic building in the town. The Carner was built in the second half of the 15th century as a bone house (kostnica), near the Parish church. Its rear wall connects to the original city fortification. In the begining of the 16th century the over-ground part was added. After a fire destroyed the church in 1528, it served as a temporary chapel and place of worship.
Expenses for repair works in 1529 – 1530 are recorded in the Town‘s accounts. Due to the threat of Turkish invasions in 1560, the chapel was remodeled into an armory with metal-casting equipment in the cellar. The building deteriorated and after it was reconstructed from 1973 – 1989, it became the property of the Trenčín Museum. Nowadays you can see and exhibition of sacred art from Gothic to Baroque. Carner is situated close to the Parish Church.
OPENING HOURES: see website www.muzeumtn.sk
ENTRANCE FEE: výsku vstupného nájdete na stránke www.muzeumtn.sk
Mierové námestie 47, Trenčín
Tel.: +421 (0)918 498 745